Saturday 19 July 2014

Review: The Iron King

Title: The Iron King (The Iron Fey #1)
Author: Julie Kagawa
Publisher: Mira Ink
Genres: Fantasy, Adventure, YA, Romance.
Release Date: January 1st 2009
Pages: 363
Where Acquired: The Works
Buy at Amazon Here 
- Best Book Price: £2.47 Kindle Price: £4.20 (as of when posted) 

UK Cover:
 8701845

A Cover From Elsewhere (Germany): 
9805610

My Thoughts On The Covers:
I do love the UK cover with it's icey blues (for the ice kingdom and for Ash) and forest greens (for the rest of the Nevernever and for Puck). The model on the front cover is stunning and symbolises Meg perfectly. The text is what wins me over most however as I am a sucker for swirly-ness. The German cover isn't as lovely in my opinion but I give it credit for symbolising the fey element of the book with the foresty eyelashes.

Goodreads Description: 
Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.

But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil, no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.


My Review: 
This book was magical! I really liked meghan, she is both strong and has her faults - which is great in a character and makes them more lovable! She is very clever and a bit of an outcast making her more relatable to most girls. Puck is brilliant, the funny, best friend who is - of course - in love with his friend. Next we have Ash, the cold warrior prince that wanted nothing to do with meghan at first but turns out to be the handsome and fierce love interest that makes it really hard for even me to choose between him and Puck (and that is a rare occurrence! I usually know who I'm rooting for from the start!) Last we have Grimalkin, the reluctant talking, furry friend that is both funny and lovable when he attempts to be grumpy around Meg. The plot line was heartfelt and I loved Meg's dedication to her little brother Ethan! He is so cute and their relationship reminds me of my own with my brother. I relay enjoyed how the plot progressed with every twist spaced out evenly between the chapters keeping things interesting. Because I enjoyed this series so much I have bought the rest of the series and one of the spin offs which centered around Ethan. The world is harsh but beautiful and I can't wait to be immersed in it again as soon as my new kindle is delivered and the book holds just the right amount of humor and some very serious plot lines that challenge the way we all look at life and in it's own way show the terrible effects pollution has on our planet.

Quotes: 
“Oh, we're playing nice now? Shall we have tea first? Brew up a nice pot of kiss-my-ass?”
“Ladies and Felines," he stated grandly, grasping the doorknob, "Welcome to Tir Na Nog. Land of endless winter and shitloads of snow.” 
“Me? Die? Didn't they tell you, princess? I'm Robin Goodfellow.”
“I've always wanted the IQ of a rock. No, wait. That would be an insult to the rock.”

Rating: 

Have You Read This Book?
How Did You Find It?
Why Don't You Leave Me A Comment, Or a Link To Your Own Blog?
I Would Love To Hear Your Views!
-The Reading Rose

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 20 July 2014 at 19:43 , Blogger Christina said...

I've only read the first book in this series, for some reason I took to disliking it (it was probably because of Ash and the love triangle) and I never continued it. But my sister read the first book, liked it, and picked up the rest of the series so I'll probably have to try it again. I do remember thinking that this series has one of the best representations of the fey world, I love how it's so dark and creepy. And Grimalkin is awesome.

 
At 22 July 2014 at 03:34 , Blogger Unknown said...

I agree i totally hate love triangles! and i really love how they represented the Fey in this book! thanks for stopping by!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home