Tuesday 10 February 2015

Interview With Tig Carson

Tig Carson
A Space Story:
The Journal of a Bald Little Alien Named Dean Kilmer

23500542

Goodreads Description: 
When a bald little alien named Dean
goes in search of Earth, he's shocked
to discover he's not the only one
looking for a way there.

Follow Dean as he befriends the most feared creature in the galaxy, gets hunted by killer monsters, reveals ancient mysteries, and eats way too much fake bacon.

Interview 

1. Hello, Can you tell us more about your book please?
My book is about a bald little alien named Dean who heads out in search of Earth, but is shocked to discover he's not the only one looking for a way there. Dean befriends the most feared creature in the galaxy, gets hunted by killer monsters, reveals ancient mysteries, and eats way too much fake bacon. The book itself is actually Deans journal. He uses it to document his adventures, and make some rough sketches along the way.
 

2. Out of all the characters, who was the most fun to write and why?
My favorite character to write was Rusty the Robot. He is a billion+ robot with a tricycle for a lower body. I loved writing his dialogue because he is both childlike and, because of his age, very wise. It was a lot of fun getting inside his head. He's the robotic friend I would have loved to have as a child. :)


3. How did you come up with the idea of the book?
I came up with the idea for the book years ago, when I worked as a projectionist at a movie theater. I would spend hours a day sitting in a dark room with not much more to do than start and stop movies. Eventually I got to creating a story about a little alien who becomes obsessed with Earth culture, and decides he wants to visit our planet. From there, it just spiraled into the book it is now.
4. What tips would you give to any of my readers who are aspiring to be authors?
The tips that helped me most when I started out (and to this very day) are  - Write every day, even when you don't feel like writing. Even if it's only a sentence. Writing is a skill that need to be exercised, just like an athlete. And, the other is - Write to entertain yourself. Write the stories that YOU would enjoy reading. Don't copy other writers, just be you, and the rest will fall into place.
 

5. What projects do you have planned for the next year?
I am close to finishing the second book in the 'A SPACE STORY' series. Then, I want to start on a coming of age story I been bouncing around for years. It follows a group of kids living in the Pine Barrens of NJ in the early 1980's.
 

6. If you were on a desert island which 3 book characters from any series would you want with you?
Gandalf the Grey (he would be more fun than the White.. HA!) , Ford Prefect (from 'The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy'), and Mike Callahan (the bartender from 'Callahan's Crosstime Saloon Series' by Spider Robinson)

7. What is your favourite childhood book and why?
My favorite childhood book is 'Where the Sidewalk Ends' by Shel Silverstein. I still remember the day I discovered it on the low bookshelf of my elem school library. It was the first book (I know, it's more of a collection of strange poems) that I couldn't put down. It was an eye opening experience for me at the time, and was the first book that made me laugh and creeped me out at the same time.
8. What inspired you to become an author?
I sat and thought about this just the other day. I always loved making up stories since I was a small boy. But to be honest, I think the two main driving forces in going from making up stories to writing them down was being bullied and boredom. Writing helped me to escape the boredom and chaos that is part of childhood. It was a place to run off to for a small clip of time. Sort of the same reason we read books or watch movies I suppose. It's my own little world where I can be whatever I want to be.
9. What do you like to do in your free time?
I spend most of my free time hanging with friends and family, playing board games ('Catan' and 'Munchkin' most recently) and watching tons of British shows. When the weather gets warm again, I like to just be outside in general. Biking, hiking, trying to grow veggies in a garden.... to no avail.
10. What inspired your book cover and what do you love most about it?
My book cover was inspired by two things. Since the book is suppose to be a journal, I wanted it to resemble one as much as possible. So me and a friend spent some time trying to find the perfect look. I wanted it to look like it has been through a lot. Beat up, burnt, shot at, left out in the rain. I feel like we did a good job with that. The symbol on the front was added to add a little mystery to what's inside.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home