Tuesday 21 April 2015

Review: What's Left Of Me

Title: What's Left Of Me (The Hybrid Chronicles #1)
Author: Kat Zhang
Publisher: HarperCollins
Genres: YA, Sci-Fi, Dystopia
Release Date: September 18th 2012
Pages: 343
Where Acquired: Amazon Kindle
Buy at Amazon Here 
- Best Book Price: £2.81 Kindle Price: £1.99 (as of when posted) 

UK Cover: 
11043618

A Cover From Elsewhere (Italy): 
17449344

Goodreads Description: 
I should not exist. But I do.

Eva and Addie started out the same way as everyone else—two souls woven together in one body, taking turns controlling their movements as they learned how to walk, how to sing, how to dance. But as they grew, so did the worried whispers. Why aren’t they settling? Why isn’t one of them fading? The doctors ran tests, the neighbors shied away, and their parents begged for more time. Finally Addie was pronounced healthy and Eva was declared gone. Except, she wasn’t . . .

For the past three years, Eva has clung to the remnants of her life. Only Addie knows she’s still there, trapped inside their body. Then one day, they discover there may be a way for Eva to move again. The risks are unimaginable-hybrids are considered a threat to society, so if they are caught, Addie and Eva will be locked away with the others. And yet . . . for a chance to smile, to twirl, to speak, Eva will do anything.


My Review: 
I do like the idea of two souls struggling to find a place in one body ever since I first read Meyer's The Host. However this book takes it to a whole different level. First of it could have done with a little more world building on the history. How did humans come to having two souls in one body? I mean, that doesn't just happen out of no-where but maybe they cover it in later books (does anyone know?)However it is a very interesting world that had me compelled from the start. I really like Eva but disliked Addie a little for her resentment of Eva. However you could never dislike her too much as it must have been an extremly hard situation to live in for the both of them. All of the characters in this book are so compelling and strong. Hallie and Lissa and her brother Devon and Ryan were very lovable and helped you understand the world a little bit better. This book is so original and the idea so fantastic you can't help but love it. I especially enjoyed the lack of resolution at the end. They managed to escape but  were still stuck in the same body with the complication of Eva getting stronger and her love for Ryan. I removed one star for the confusing origins and the slow start but it is still a fantastic book and worth reading.

Quotes: 
 “I was terrified. I was eleven years old, and though I'd been told my entire life that it was entirely natural for the recessive soul to fade away, I didn't want to go. I wanted twenty thousand more sunrises, three thousand more hot summer days at the pool. I wanted to know what it was like to have a first kiss. The other recessives were lucky to have disappeared at four or five. They knew less.”


Rating: 





3 Similar Books You May Enjoy (Goodreads): 
The Lost GirlBeta (Annex, #1)The Glimpse (The Glimpse, #1)

Have You Read This Book? How Did You Find It?
Why Don't You Leave Me A Comment, Or a Link To Your Own Blog?
I Would Love To Hear Your Views! 
-The Reading Rose

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home